Looking for a delicious breakfast recipe for the weekend? You will love these zucchini apple carrot pancakes that are so good, you won’t even know they are healthy for you! These pancakes are packed with nutrients, and are gluten-free and dairy-free.
Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day. I love trying new breakfast places in town and make it a point to go out to breakfast on most Saturdays. There is no shortage of food on our table and there is usually one requirement – there must be biscuits and gravy on the menu!
As much as I love going out to breakfast, some weekends I prefer to sleep in and lounge around. On these mornings, I enjoy experimenting in the kitchen with breakfast foods we don’t normally eat during the week, such as pancakes, waffles, French toast or breakfast sandwiches.
This past weekend was one of those lazy mornings, and I was inspired by these zucchini carrot apple muffins by The Lean Green Bean in the kitchen and couldn’t wait to put my own breakfast spin on it. The results? Holy yum. They were the most decadent, moist, almost cake-like pancakes that tasted so good it was hard to believe they were gluten-free, dairy-free and packed with hidden nutrients!
Not only are these pancakes great for a lazy weekend morning, but they can also be made in batches and frozen for a quick and easy breakfast on the go!
Now, let’s talk about how to make these heavenly dessert-like pancakes, shall we?
First, combine almond flour (made from my leftover pulp from this delicious homemade almond milk recipe – win!), oat flour (I made mine by grinding gluten-free oats in my coffee grinder), baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
Next, it’s time for a little arm workout. Kidding, but not really! Grate the zucchini, carrots and apple, placing each on a paper towel to squeeze the excess moisture out (this is important in preventing the pancake batter from separating when cooking).
Here’s a little tip: when grating the apple, remove the skin first. I did not do this at first and was getting hardly any apple through my grater because the skin was getting in the way! Once the veggies and apple are grated and the excess moisture is removed, whisk together with the eggs, almond milk, vanilla and maple syrup in a mixing bowl.
Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix until well incorporated, being careful not to over mix. Set aside for a few minutes to let the batter rest.
Heat a griddle pan over medium heat and coat with coconut oil. When the pan is hot, scoop about ¼ cup batter for each pancake. Let pancakes cook on one side for about 3-4 minutes until little bubbles form at the top. Flip and cook on the other side for another 3-4 minutes. Repeat until the batter is all gone.
Top your pancake stack with a little bit of (real) butter and a light drizzle of maple syrup. Now, grab a fork and dig in!Print
Looking for a delicious breakfast recipe for the weekend? You will love these zucchini apple carrot pancakes that are so good, you won’t even know they are healthy for you! These pancakes are packed with nutrients, and are gluten free and dairy free.
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cups gluten-free oat flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cups almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini, excess water removed
- 1/2 cup shredded apple, excess water removed
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot, excess water removed
- coconut oil for cooking
- Combine the first 7 ingredients (dry ingredients) in a large mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Next, grate the zucchini, apple and carrot. Place in a paper towel and squeeze out the excess water.
- Combine the grated veggies and apple in a bowl with the eggs, almond milk, vanilla and maple syrup. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and fold in the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Set aside to let the batter rest for a few minutes.
- Heat a griddle on medium heat and coat with coconut oil.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook for 3-4 minutes on the first side until flipping and cooking for another 3-4 minutes on the other side. Little bubbles should appear to tell you it’s time to flip!
- Repeat until all of the pancake batter is gone.
- Top pancake stack with a pad of (real butter) and light drizzle of maple syrup.
- Grab and fork and dig in!
- *Pancakes can also be made in batches and frozen for a quick and easy breakfast on the go.
- Serving Size: 2 pancakes
- Calories: 291
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 414mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 62mg
Keywords: apple, breakfast, brunch, carrot, dairy-free, gluten free, pancakes, plant based, vegetarian, zucchini