This recipe for Tart Cherry and Almond Protein Granola makes a big batch and would be a great gift to family, friends or coworkers! No need for a special occasion, just a way to brighten their day (and add a little nutritional goodness to their lifestyle).
- 2 cups slivered almonds
- 1 cup cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup almond meal (or ground flax seed)
- 1/2 cup coconut nectar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup dried tart cherries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients (brown rice syrup, coconut oil and almond extract) to a small saucepan and heat on low until everything is melted and can be evenly stirred together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until the dry ingredients are evenly coated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray. Spread the granola mixture in an even layer on the parchment paper, spreading it out as much as possible.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway through (being careful not to burn the granola!). When the granola starts to turn a golden brown, take it out of the oven to cool.
- Wait until completely cooled to remove from baking sheet and break up into smaller pieces. Place in a container with a tight fitting lid and store on the counter for up to a week!
When the granola is in the oven, the brown rice syrup will bubble. That’s okay! It’s what makes it crispy when cooled.