Looking for a delicious and comforting veggie latke recipe to enjoy as a side or part of a stunning plant-powered meal? These vegan and gluten-free Sweet Potato Latkes are just that. Simple to make, full of flavor and stunning on the plate. This recipe was created by Guest Chef Kelsey as part of The Collective Series. Get to know Kelsey and her amazing latke recipe below!
- 1 cup peeled, shredded sweet potato
- ¾ cup shredded yukon potato
- ¾ cup peeled, shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 tablespoons garbanzo bean flour
- ½ lemon, zested
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fresh black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon pink himalayan salt
Herby Sour Cream
- 1 cup vegan plain sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chives, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- To a large mixing bowl, combine 1 tablespoon garbanzo bean flour and 1 tablespoon water to make a paste.
- Squeeze the shredded sweet potato, Yukon potato and carrot with a nut milk bag or tea towel to remove excess moisture. Add to the mixing bowl, along with the almond flour, other tablespoon of garbanzo bean flour, lemon zest and juice, green onion, dill, parsley, garlic powder, baking powder, black pepper and salt. You want to add the salt last, right before you are going to shape the latkes.
- Combine well, and scoop out a small meatball size of mix. Roll gently into a ball and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Heat a nonstick skillet (cast iron works best), with a good amount of cooking oil (recommend ghee or vegan butter), once oil is hot put latke on the skillet and press it down with spatula or fork until flat. Cook until the underside is crispy but not dark (3-4min), flip and repeat.
- Meanwhile, to make the herby sour cream, add everything to a bowl and mix to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
- Serve these hot with a dollop of the herby sour cream.
Keywords: collective series, latkes, potato pancakes, kelsey, new general, guest chef, sweet potato latkes, gluten free, side dish, vegan, sweet potato, carrot, herb sour cream, herb dip