Fruit and chocolate. It’s the classic combination when it comes to satisfying your sweet tooth, and I have a delicious and healthy recipe to do just that! These raw chocolate kiwifruit tarts require no baking and feature a specific type of kiwifruit that is growing in popularity, SunGold kiwis. These individual-sized chocolate kiwifruit tarts are loaded with nutrients and will be sure to impress when you’re in need of a healthy sweet treat.
I received free samples of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Zespri Kiwifruit and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Are you a fan of kiwifruit? I’ve always enjoyed kiwis, but for some reason, they never really find their way into my grocery cart too often. I think it’s because I often feel limited in what I can do with them and they more or less became an afterthought when it comes to keeping fresh produce in my kitchen.
Aside from being able to connect with like-minded health and nutrition bloggers, one of the perks of being a part of the Recipe Redux is the opportunity to work with various brands. When the opportunity to create a recipe for Zespri Kiwifruit came up, I jumped on it, because I knew this would push me out of my comfort zone and force me to try to create something I never had before.
When my box of sample kiwis arrived in the mail, I was blown away. You would’ve thought I had ordered an expensive gift with the way that each kiwi was so carefully packed. I could tell right away that Zespri really cared about the quality of their fruits and the way they are presented to the customer, which I love.
When I started thinking about what kind of recipe I would create, I knew I didn’t want to go the smoothie route because this is what I’m most comfortable with (and I believe would be the most predictable). I also didn’t want to incorporate them into a salad, since I was trying to come up with something new and different.
Then I thought, what’s better than fruit and chocolate? NOTHING, if you ask me! I knew I didn’t want to have to bake anything because that is so not my forte, so a raw dessert, it was.
And that is how these raw chocolate kiwifruit tarts came into being, my friends. Or, at least that’s how they came about in my head!
A few fun facts about SunGold Kiwifruit…
- SunGold kiwifruit are smooth and hairless on the outside, compared to their fuzzy green counterpart. I find that they are also juicier and have a sweet, slightly tart, tropical taste.
- No peeling required! When I got my kiwifruit in the mail, it came with a spoon. The most popular way to eat kiwis are to cut them in half and scoop out the fruit!
- One serving of SunGold (2 kiwifruit) provides 3x more vitamin C than an orange and the same amount of potassium as a medium banana. Who knew I was passing up a true “superfruit” this whole time?!
For how impressive this dessert looks, these chocolate kiwifruit tarts are really simple to make. I used a scalloped-edge biscuit cutter to cut the individual tarts, but you can use anything you have on hand. Even a drinking glass would work!
And don’t worry. If you don’t have a piping bag at home (I don’t) to evenly portion out the “filling”, use a Ziploc bag instead! Simply pour the filling into the bag and squeeze to one side. Then snip the corner off of the bag and pipe away.
In this recipe, I not only used sliced kiwifruit on the top, but I also added it to the filling to add even more kiwifruit flavor and nutritional goodness in each tart.
Now tell me you don’t want to throw a dinner party just so you have an excuse to make these beauties?! Or, maybe make them for yourself and give the extras to family and friends!
[Tweet “Get the #recipe for these Chocolate Kiwifruit Tarts for a healthy dessert!”]Print
- 1 1/2 cups Medjool dates, pits removed (about 20)
- 3 Tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews, soaked for at least 30 minutes
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Chocolate Glaze:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 4 kiwis, thinly sliced for garnish
- Place all of the ingredients for the crust in a food processor. Blend on HIGH until the consistency is crumbly and the ingredients start to form a ball. Place on a piece of saran wrap and flatten the mixture with your hands until it forms a square or rectangle that is 1/4” thick. Make sure the crust is packed tightly. Wrap the crust in the saran wrap and place on a baking sheet. Place in the fridge to harden up for at least 30 minutes.
- While the crust is firming up, make the filling. Place all of the filling ingredients in a blender and blend on HIGH until smooth and creamy. If the mixture seems too thick, add some water. It should be the consistency of a thick paste. Spoon the filling into a Ziploc bag and place in the freezer.
- To make the chocolate sauce, combine all of the ingredients in a glass or microwavable bowl and whisk until all of the ingredients are emulsified together.
- To assemble, cut crust with a cookie cutter or biscuit cutter to make 6-8 individual tarts. To get all eight, you might have to remold and flatten the crust mixture several times. Then, pipe the filling onto each crust, leaving a little bit of room around the edges. Top with kiwi slices and drizzle with chocolate glaze.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve! If you have leftover crust, you can form it into bite-sized balls for a snack, or store in the freezer for up to a few months!
Have you ever tried SunGold kiwifruit before? What is your favorite fruit and chocolate combo? Share with me in the comment section below!
Loved this recipe? Don’t forget to pin for later!