Do you ever find yourself hungry at home, with nothing in the kitchen to throw together? With just a few key staples kept on hand at all times, I’ve got a delicious vegan twist on the classic tuna sandwich that’s made with chickpeas! To take it up a notch, you can swap regular bread for a collard green wrap for even more green power.
I don’t know about you, but there are specific staples that I like to have on hand in the kitchen at all times. Some of these items include: an assortment of canned beans, diced tomatoes, quinoa, nuts and seeds, tahini, an assortment of spices, lemons, bananas and some kind of leafy green. Oh, and jarred tomato sauce and pasta shells when I need to call in for back up!
We were recently given the challenge to spring clean the kitchen by creating a recipe with at least three ingredients we had on hand as part of the monthly Recipe Redux, and I knew exactly what that was going to be. No “Tuna” Chickpea Salad.
This salad has been a go-to of mine for a while now whenever we don’t have anything on hand for lunch and need something quick and simple to throw together.
The base of this salad is made with chickpeas, which are full of fiber, protein and vitamins and minerals – one of my favorite plant-based protein sources! The actual “salad” part is made up with essentially anything you have on hand.
Don’t have tahini laying around? No problem. You can use a little bit of olive oil, Dijon mustard, cashew cream, or a mixture of several of these things. All you’re looking for is that desirable creamy consistency.
Same goes for the spices. I chose to incorporate some of my favorites that I always have on hand, such as seasoning salt, paprika, garlic powder and dulse flakes to give it that tuna-like flavor, but you can choose whichever flavorings sound good to you! Smoked paprika, cumin and even dill would all be delicious.
Now, the fun part comes in during assembly time. What am I talking about? The collard green wrap! I love to try new ways to fit in more greens in my day and this is a great way to do this. I’ve included a short tutorial video for you below!
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon all-seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon dulse flakes (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 large collard green leaves
- toppings: shredded carrots, red onion, dried cranberries, avocado, sprouts, etc
- In a small mixing bowl, mash the chickpeas until crumbly. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until well combined.
- When ready to assemble, cut the thickest part of the rib from the collard green leaf. You will want two leaves per wrap. Stack the leaves on top of each other, placing the cut side in opposite directions. Spoon the chickpea salad down the middle (as you would a burrito) and top with your preferred toppings!
- To roll, think of it like a burrito. You will want to fold the outer edges in and tightly roll the leaves, keeping the filling inside. With the seam-side down, cut in half and serve!
Making meals from what you have on hand at home may seem daunting at first, but with a little bit of creativity and making sure the essentials are always stocked, it can be easier than it seems. Some examples include:
- Soups (kitchen essentials: vegetable broth, beans, diced tomatoes, leafy greens)
- Pasta (kitchen essentials: marinara sauce and whole wheat or quinoa noodles)
- Grain bowls (kitchen essentials: quinoa, beans, leafy greens, lemon, tahini and any other veggies laying around)
What meal would you create out of what’s currently found in your kitchen?
If you make these Breakfast Cookies, let me know! Leave a comment below or snap a pic on Instagram and tag it with @fitlivingeats and #fitlivingeats. I love seeing your recipe creations!
Want to try this recipe? Don’t forget to pin for later!