With Cinco de Mayo just a few days away, I’ve got Mexican foods on my mind. Today, I’m sharing one of my family’s favorite recipes that can be made from start to finish in under 30 minutes! Get the recipe for this Vegan Mexican Pizza with Avocado Cream for a delicious Meatless Monday dinner or Mexican-themed meal at home.
I’m back with another Mexican-inspired dish as we gear up for Cinco de Mayo! I recently posted a recipe for a Summery Jicama & Mango Slaw and thought I would continue the trend by sharing one of our favorite go-to Mexican dinners – Mexican Pizza! Because who doesn’t love Mexican foods and pizzas?
This Mexican Pizza with Avocado Cream is a staple in our household and usually shows up on the table on a weekly basis. It can be made with ground beef occasionally, but I prefer to enjoy this dish in all it’s veggie glory.
In this recipe, I use black beans for the “refried bean” pizza base, but you could use any kind you have on hand. Pinto beans would be delicious! I also use 6-inch corn tortillas for healthy portion sizes and to ensure the pizza stays intact. If you use too big of a tortilla, the pizza will get all floppy on you and nobody wants droopy pizza. Am I right?
The main feature of this recipe is the homemade refried black beans. Did you know that “refried” simply means mashed up beans with some spices mixed in? Who would’ve thought! All this time, I thought maybe they were cooked twice somehow.
Let’s talk about the nutritional breakdown of black beans for a moment.
Did you know that in 1 cup of black beans, you’re getting:
- 39 grams of protein (which equals the same amount as it’s meaty counterpart)
- A high dose of iron, which boosts energy and concentration
- A high dose of magnesium, which helps regulate blood pressure, boost metabolism and promotes healthy nerve function
- About 1/3 of your daily needs for calcium to help build strong bones
Now that you know about all of the nutritional goodness that’s nourishing your body in this Mexican pizza recipe, let’s get to it, shall we?
In order to get this meal started and finished in under 30 minutes, I recommend cooking and assembling in the following order:
First, get your beans going. While your beans are cooking, crisp up the tortillas or “crust” in a sauté pan. Once the tortillas are done, make the avocado cream and prep your veggies for the toppings. Next, mash the beans using a food processor until they have reached your desired texture ( I like mine a little chunky, but you could make yours as smooth and creamy as you would like!). Finally, assemble away! Full details in the recipe below.
[Tweet “Get the recipe for this #Mexican pizza for #MeatlessMonday that can be made in under 30 minutes!”]Print
Try this Mexican Pizza recipe for a delicious Meatless Monday or a Mexican-themed meal at home. It is a family favorite. And the avocado cream is to die for!
For the refried black beans:
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalepeno, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
For Avocado Cream:
- 2 avocados
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 corn tortillas
- shredded romaine
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- grape tomatoes (or tomatoes, diced)
- In a medium saucepan, add the olive oil, garlic, onion, jalepeno and bell pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes or until veggies are soft. Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika and salt. Stir to combine. Add the black beans and vegetable broth. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the avocado cream. Mash the avocado in a small bowl and add the almond milk, cilantro and salt. Stir to combine. If too thick, add more almond milk.
- Chop the romaine and tomatoes for the pizza toppings.
- To make the crust, heat a large saute pan over medium high heat. Spray each side of the tortilla with cooking spray and cook until golden brown and crisped, about 4 minutes on each side.
- When the black beans are done, add them to a food processor along with the lime juice and cilantro. Pulse until the it is of consistency is of your liking. If you don’t have a food processor, you can mash with a fork or potato masher!
- To assemble, place one tortilla on a plate. Spread with a layer of the black beans. Top with romaine, corn and tomatoes. Drizzle with avocado cream. Enjoy!
Not too hard, right? These Mexican pizzas can be totally customized with different toppings depending on what suits your fancy and is a recipe that can be enjoyed by the whole family!
The recipe is part of the Meatless Monday link up hosted by The Fit Foodie Mama and Running on Happy, as well as Meatless Monday hosted by Confessions of a Mother Runner, Tina Muir and A Whisk and Two Wands.