If Meatless Monday and Taco Tuesday had a baby, they would make lentil walnut tacos. These vegan tacos are delicious, easy to make and packed full of nutrients. The smokiness of the taco “meat” paired with the sweetness and spiciness of the salsa is a classic flavor combo that everyone will enjoy (plant and meat eaters, alike).
- 1 cup french green lentils
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 romaine lettuce leaves
Pineapple Mango Salsa
- Cook the lentils according to the package. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the salsa ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- To make the cashew sour cream: Drain the soaking liquid from the cashews and add the cashews to a blender. Add the remaining ingredients and blend on HIGH until creamy.
- To make the lentil walnut taco meat: Toast the walnuts in a sauté pan for about 5 minutes on medium-low heat. Add to a food processor with the lentils and pulse until crumbly (keeping the texture!). Add back to the pan and add in the spices and tomato paste. Stir to combine and sauté for a few more minutes to let the mixture dry out a bit and become crumbly.
- To assemble: Spoon the taco meat into the romaine leaves. Top with the salsa and sour cream. Enjoy!