‘Tis the season of cold and flu season. This time of year is especially important to focus on healthy habits to keep your immune system strong, which includes making sure your snack game is in tip top shape! These immune-boosting lemon ginger energy bites are easy to make, full of protein and the perfect snack to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Do you find yourself sick often? I was always one of those that seemed to go months without getting sick. That is, until I started traveling on a plane at least once a month. Lately I’ve found myself in an exhausting routine of travel, then being down and out with a cold for at least a few days after.
There have been a few exceptions to this pattern and I think I’ve figured out why. I’ve finally nailed down the optimal netflix to work ratio to give my body the rest it needs! Plus, I make sure to fuel my body with lots of nutrient-rich, immune boosting foods.
What are some of the top immune boosting foods?
Many plant-based foods are full of micronutrients, aka vitamins and minerals to keep your body healthy and thriving from the inside out. But when it comes to immune-boosting superpowers, some foods outrule the others.
- Citrus fruit (loaded with vitamin C)
- Bell pepper (another great source of vitamin C)
- Broccoli (vitamins A, C and E)
- Garlic (sulfur-containing compounds)
- Ginger (anti-inflammatory)
- Spinach (vitamin C, antioxidants, beta-carotene)
- Probiotic-rich foods (did you know that 70% of our immune system is controlled by the gut?)
- Almonds (vitamin C and E)
- Turmeric (curcumin – an anti-inflammatory compound)
- Green tea (antioxidants!)
These immune-boosting lemon ginger energy bites contain two of the top foods listed above: fresh ginger and lemon juice. They are full of fiber and naturally sweetened, thanks to the Medjool dates, and loaded with protein and healthy fats for a balanced snack.
With only seven ingredients and one food processor, these bites can be made in less than 10 minutes! I love keeping energy bites on hand in the refrigerator or freezer for a healthy snack that will satisfy my sweet tooth on demand.
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted (about 10)
- 1 cup pecans
- ½ cup hemp seeds, plus more for coating
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Place the pecans in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until crumbly and starting to stick together. Using a mini ice cream scooper, scoop the mixture to form a ball and roll in extra hemp seeds to coat. Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or the freezer for a few months.
Keywords: energy bites, energy balls, protein, snack, immune health, immune, lemon ginger, hemp seeds, meal prep