- 2 small spaghetti squash
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 16 oz. baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced or chopped in food processor
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 28 oz. can crushed organic tomatoes
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To prepare the spaghetti squash, cut off both ends and cut in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds with a spoon. Sprinkle the squash with salt and pepper; drizzle with olive oil. Place the squash cut side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place the squash in the oven and roast for about 35 minutes or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by heating olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots; sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic, mushrooms and walnuts. Sauté until the mushrooms begin to brown, stirring frequently.
- Next, stir in the balsamic vinegar and crushed tomatoes and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- To make the vegan parmesan, add all of the ingredients to a food processor. Pulse until the cashews are ground to a mealy consistency. Set aside.
- To finish the spaghetti squash, shred with a fork. To serve, divide the spaghetti squash among four bowls and spoon the mushroom walnut Bolognese on top, followed by a sprinkle of the vegan parmesan and basil!
Keywords: pasta, italian, bolognese, healthy swap, gluten free, vegan, quick dinner, weeknight dinner, comfort food, spaghetti, spaghetti squash