Takeout at home never tasted better with this Gluten-Free Healthier Orange Chicken Stir Fry with Veggies, which is easy to make yourself, and is more nutritious thanks to a few ingredient swaps.
Substitute the chicken for tofu to make this recipe vegan-friendly and any of the vegetables to your preferences. It’s all about the slightly sweet, tangy orange stir fry sauce anyways!
This post is sponsored by Uncle Matt’s Organic. More main dish recipes can be found here. All reviews and opinions in this post are based on my personal view and are not influenced by the company.
Stir fry is one of those foods that is foolproof to make at home. There’s no real method to it, other than sauteing whatever veggies you have on hand with the protein of your choice, then serving over a form of rice or noodle.
As for the sauce, as long as you have soy sauce it could be passed as a stir fry.
So what do you get when you combine one of the most popular takeout flavors [orange chicken] with an easy at home stir fry cooking method?
Orange Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry.
This isn’t just any stir fry though. Thanks to a few healthy ingredient swaps, this is Gluten Free Healthier Orange Chicken Stir Fry with Veggies.
Let’s look more closer at what simple swaps are included in this recipe:
- Avocado oil instead of canola oil for a healthier source of fats
- Coconut aminos in place of soy sauce for a soy-free, gluten-free alternative
- Arrowroot flour instead of all-purpose flour to make this dish gluten-free friendly
This recipe isn’t just healthier because of the ingredient swaps. The cooking method of light sauteing instead of pan frying [the veggies] and deep frying [the chicken] is where the real difference is made.
The quality of ingredients that you use in your cooking make a big nutritional difference, too.
I aim to only use wholesome ingredients that are preservative-free, minimally processed and are as close to its origin as possible.
That’s why I love using Uncle Matt’s Organic Orange Juice in this recipe. Uncle Matt’s is a family-owned company right here in Florida (local for the win!) who has a commitment to producing a clean product in a sustainable way.
Their products are free of toxic pesticides, GMOs and preservatives, as well as any artificial ingredients or flavor packets. Uncle Matt’s is also the first juice company to be certified glyphosate residue free by The Detox Project.
This Gluten-Free Healthier Orange Chicken Stir Fry with Veggies is a three-step process.
That might seem like one too many if you’re used to throwing everything into the pan at the same time, but it’s worth it.
- Step 1: Saute the veggies and flash steam at the end to cut down on the amount of oil needed.
- Step 2: Sear the chicken to get a golden crust. Most stir fry recipes will encourage you to cook cubes of chicken, but I like to sear my chicken first, then cut into cubes. I find that this creates a more moist and flavorful bite of chicken. Because the chicken is coated with the arrowroot flour, a thickening agent, we’ve already started the process of creating a syrupy sauce in this step.
- Step 3: Deglaze the pan with the sauce. The acidity from the OJ helps lift off any bits on the bottom of the pan that will infuse the dish with incredible flavor. Simmer to thicken, then toss it all together!
Serve this delicious stir fry over brown rice or lightly sauteed cauliflower rice. It’s so hearty, you could even just eat it all on its own.
You’re lucky if you have leftovers for lunch the next day because you’ll be dreaming of this Gluten Free Healthier Orange Chicken Stir Fry with Veggies in your sleep!Print
Stir fry is one of those foods that’s easy to make at home. But what do you get when you combine this easy meal with one of the most popular take out foods? Gluten Free Healthier Orange Chicken Stir Fry with Veggies. Made with Uncle Matt’s Organic OJ and a few other simple ingredient swaps, this recipe is about to become a weekly staple on your menu plan.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups snap peas, cut in half
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut in half horizontally to butterfly
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 4 sprigs green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, roughly chopped
For the sauce:
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 3 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 orange, zested
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat 1 tablespoon avocado oil in a large saute pan. Add the broccoli and begin to cook, a few minutes. Add the snap peas and bell pepper. Stir and saute a few more minutes. Add a couple tablespoons of water to the pan, cover and steam, about 5 minutes, until veggie are bright in color. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- To make the chicken, add the arrowroot flour, salt and pepper to a plate. Dredge the chicken to coat both sides, shaking off any excess flour. Add the other tablespoon avocado oil to the sauté pan and turn the heat up to medium-high. Place the chicken carefully in the pan. Sear the chicken until cooked through, about 4 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of the chicken cutlets. Remove from the pan and cut into cubes, once cooled.
- Meanwhile, whisk all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl to combine. Once the chicken is cooked and removed from the pan, pour the sauce into the pan, scraping up any bits with a wooden spoon that has been leftover. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add in the vegetables, chicken, cashews, green onions and cilantro. Stir to combine and simmer for a few more minutes, until sauce is syrupy and the veggies and chicken are well coated.
- Calories: 354
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 345mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 30g
Keywords: orange chicken, gluten free orange chicken, orange chicken stir fry, orange stir fry, gluten free stir fry, orange stir fry sauce, orange chicken veggie stir fry, uncle matts, uncle matts oj, gluten free dinner, main dish, 30 minute meal, healthy meal prep, meal prep stir fry