Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning has been shown to increase hydration, resulting in a brighter complexion, a way to naturally detox the body and improve digestion. Get the recipe for my favorite hot lemon ginger detox tonic to jumpstart your morning routine inspired by my recent trip to Le Pain Quotidien in NYC!
I don’t know about you, but most mornings when I wake up my mouth feels dry and my body feels completely depleted of water. To make matters worse, I often reach for the coffee pot before anything else, which really, is not hydrating at all.
A few months ago, I started drinking hot lemon water as a way to hydrate my body first thing in the morning after hearing and reading about the many health benefits that this simple morning routine has to offer.
What are the health benefits of lemon and ginger detox tonic?
- Clearer, brighter skin. Have you ever noticed that when your body is properly hydrated, your skin is brighter and almost has a dewy (in a good way) glow? While you are getting your recommended 7-9 hours of shut eye every night, your body is still working hard to function properly and maintain optimal health.
Knowing this, it’s important to hydrate yourself first thing in the morning to reenergize your body and mind. The vitamin C found in lemons also helps produce collagen, creating that youthful and glowing look we are all after!
- Improved digestion. When our bodies are properly hydrated, it helps things continue to move along as they should be (if you know what I mean!). The acidity in the lemon juice also stimulates bile production, which helps foods move smoothly through the digestive system and allows nutrients to be absorbed more easily.
- A natural way to flush out toxins. You might not know it, because, well, you’re sleeping, but your liver is hard at work during rest to eliminate toxins built up in the body that are found in our foods and environment.
Drinking enough water throughout the day (so why not start first thing in the morning?!) helps the liver do its job and the stimulating effects of the lemon juice naturally flushes out these unwanted toxins.
Related: More Drinks & Smoothie Recipes
- Mood and metabolism booster. Proper hydration = happy mind. End of story. But seriously, did you know that your brain is made up of about 75% water? When we are properly hydrated, our brain can function at its best which keeps potential crankiness at bay.
Lemon contains pectin which is a type of fiber, helping our bodies feel fuller longer which can aid in weight loss and keep metabolism revved up!
So can you see why drinking this first thing in the morning can be a game changer for your health?
My morning ritual of drinking hot lemon water lasted for a while, but I recently got out of routine and honestly, tired of it, (even though I knew the host of reasons why I should be drinking it).
That is, until I visited Le Pain Quotidien during a recent trip to NYC and had their Hot Lemon, Ginger and Honey Tea.
I had found a new love for all things hot and lemon-y and this even had ginger and honey, adding even more healthy goodness to my cup! Every sip was equally tart from the lemon, sweet from the honey and spicy from the ginger. It was delicious and I couldn’t wait to try and recreate this at home.
Well, I think I nailed it and here I am, sharing it with you all! Whether hot lemon water is a part of your routine or not, I highly recommend adding this to your morning. Not only does this Hot Lemon Ginger Detox Tonic have amazing health benefits, it is equally delicious, soothing and energizing!
Related Post: Immune-Boosting Recipes for Winter
So maybe tomorrow morning, instead of immediately reaching for the coffee pot, try making this tonic. Don’t worry, you can have your coffee afterwards! I even make multiple batches at a time to have on hand so that all I have to do is reheat it when I wake up or when I’m feeling the need for a little energizing boost in my day.Print
Jumpstart your morning routine, improve your hydration and help your body naturally detox with my favorite hot lemon ginger detox recipe.
- For a recipe shortcut, you could add the ginger knob, honey and lemon to a blender, along with hot water. Blend until frothy.
- You could make a big batch of this and store in the fridge for a couple of days. Reheat one serving at a time on the stovetop when ready to serve.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 71
- Sugar: 18g
- Sodium: 0mg
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: cleanse, detox, health benefits, hot lemon water, lemon ginger detox tonic, morning routine
Looking for more recipes like this one? Get your copy of best-selling cookbook, Simply Swapped Everyday on Amazon!