This vegan summer succotash is a simple, yet stunning side that features all of summer’s seasonal vegetables including zucchini, summer squash, corn and heirloom tomatoes.
Lightly sauteed in a drizzle of olive oil and finished with a fresh squeeze of lime and chopped parsley, this dish couldn’t be any easier to make!
What Makes this Vegan Summer Succotash Easy to Make
Rooted in Southern comfort food, there are a number of variations of summer succotash. Depending on what’s on hand, traditional summer succotash can be made with lima beans, corn, tomatoes and even bacon crumbles.
Related Recipe: Sheet Pan Roasted Veggies
Sauteing vegetables on the stove is a great way to bring out their natural flavors. You can get a nice golden sear on the outside, while cooking through to the inside. When using seasonal produce, there’s no need to go crazy with seasoning! Just a simple sprinkle of salt and pepper with garnish of fresh herbs is all you need.
My Take on the Classic Summer Succotash
My take on the classic summer succotash features fiber-rich summer squash, sweet corn, and vibrant heirloom tomatoes. What is an heirloom tomato exactly? This type of tomato is created by passing the best of the crop seeds down through multiple generations. They can be found in a range of colors, adding visual interest and ultimate flavor to any dish.
Don’t have one of the vegetables listed in the ingredient list? No problem! Leave it out or swap it for another favorite. The beauty of this vegan summer succotash recipe is in the simple flavoring and stunning colors when the vegetables are mixed together.Print
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ears fresh corn, husked
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh black pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup parsley
- Optional: 2 tablespoons dairy-free butter
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the oil and carrots; cook just a few minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the shallots and garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the corn, zucchini, squash, salt and pepper.
- Saute until soft and just golden, stirring occasionally for about 8 minutes.
- Add the tomato and cook for a few minutes, until just soft.
- Turn off the heat and add the lime juice, parsley and butter (if using).
- Gently stir until the butter is melted and flavors are combined.
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 193mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: succotash, summer succotash, summer squash, tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, fresh corn, veggie side, squash succotash, veggie medley, vegetable side dish, side dish