Are you trying to eat more plant-based meals, but worried you’re not getting enough protein? This Easy Broccoli Tofu Stir Fry is packed with protein to satisfy hunger and couldn’t be easier to cook. Made with less than ten ingredients, this simple vegan stir fry is the perfect dish to cozy up to for a meatless dinner.
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu
- ¼ cup arrowroot flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large bunch broccoli (4 cups total)*
- ¼ cup coconut aminos*
- ¼ cup filtered water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger*
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, for serving
- ½ cup cashews, roughly chopped
- Cilantro and green onions, chopped for garnish
- Red pepper flakes, for garnish
- To prepare the tofu: Remove from the packaging and drain. Place the block of tofu on a plate that is lined with paper towels to soak up moisture and place another stack of paper towels on top. Place a heavy object (such as a cast iron pan) on top to weigh down and “press” the tofu. Set aside for about 10 minutes while preparing the broccoli and sauce.
- To make the sauce: Combine the coconut aminos, water, rice vinegar, grated ginger and honey to a small bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- To prepare the broccoli: Cut into similar sized florets. Heat a sauté pan (that has a lid) over medium high heat. Add the broccoli and about ½ cup water to the pan and cover to steam. Leave the lid on for about 5 minutes, or until the broccoli is bright green in color and starting to soften.
- To sear the tofu: Cut the block into ½” cubes by first cutting through the middle of the block, then cutting strips, then cubes. Place the arrowroot powder seasoned with salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Gently toss the tofu to coat. Remove the broccoli from the sauté pan and any remaining water. Add the olive oil and maintain the medium-high heat. Add the tofu, spreading out into a single layer with space in between the individual cubes. Let the tofu sear for a few minutes, before flipping to sear the other side. Continue searing until all sides of the tofu are golden in color. Once seared, add the broccoli back in, along with the sauce and simmer for about 5 minutes, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- To serve: Spoon the brown rice into the bottom of a bowl. Scoop the broccoli tofu stir fry on top and garnish with cashews, green onions, cilantro and red pepper flakes.
- If you don’t want to sear the tofu first, cut the block into cubes and add to the pan once the broccoli is cooked, along with the sauce. Add 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour to the sauce to allow it to thicken.
- Instead of fresh broccoli, you can use 4 cups frozen broccoli.
- If you don’t have coconut aminos on hand, you can substitute for soy sauce or tamari.
- Instead of fresh ginger, you can substitute for ½ teaspoon ground ginger.
- You can serve with any grain of your choice, including rice, quinoa, or even veggie rice.
- Serving Size: 1 ½ cups stir fry + ½ cup cooked brown rice
- Calories: 370
- Sugar: 6g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: chinese, stir fry, tofu, broccoli tofu stir fry, broccoli, asian, easy dinner, main, dinner, vegan, gluten free, vegetarian, stir fry sauce, coconut aminos, pantry meal, meatless monday