Are you looking to incorporate more simple, clean foods into your diet during the cooler months? Cozy up with this roasted carrot butternut squash soup that’s made with only seven ingredients, one sheet pan and a blender! This soup is guaranteed to give you that healthy skin glow all winter long.
During the fall, one of my favorite soups to make is butternut squash soup. The sweetness from the butternut squash is a fantastic way to naturally satisfy sugar cravings. Combine the naturally sweet flavor with silky smooth texture after it’s pureed in the blender and you’ll be reaching for bowl after bowl!
Related Post: Seven Guidelines for Clean Eating
Simple swaps that give this fall favorite a healthy makeover
Traditionally, butternut squash soup is made creamy thanks to a few cups of heavy cream and extra sweet with apple juice or a heavy dose of added sugar.
In this recipe, we are roasting the vegetables to highlight their natural sweetness. Then we are swapping heavy cream for full-fat coconut milk for a nutritious upgrade without sacrificing decadence and creaminess. With just a touch of maple syrup at the end, this roasted carrot butternut squash soup is creamy, dreamy and healthy!
So what exactly is special about this roasted carrot butternut squash soup that promotes a healthy skin glow?
Carrots and butternut squash are loaded with vitamin A, a fat-soluble vitamin and powerful antioxidant that acts as an anti-inflammatory and helps keep skin looking youthful and glowing. The natural orange hue is due to beta-carotene, which gives skin the appearance of a summer glow when eaten in large quantities.
Related post: Roasted Veggie Butternut Squash Tortilla Pizza
When I used to work at a juice bar, I would frequently load up on carrot juice when I was preparing for a video shoot to help maintain clear, glowing skin. It worked like a charm!
This soup is delicious on it’s own, or you can elevate it (and add some protein) with simply roasted chickpeas or a sprinkle of hemp seeds! Get the full tutorial on how to get perfectly crispy roasted chickpeas, here.
In three easy steps, this roasted carrot butternut squash soup is made from start to finish with only seven ingredients. That’s my kinda cozy meal – simple and nutritious!Print
Soothe your body and get your skin glowing with this warming and detoxifying roasted carrot and butternut squash soup recipe!
- 1 pound carrots, chopped into similar size pieces
- 1 medium (about 1 1/2 pounds) butternut squash, peeled and chopped into similar size pieces
- 1/2 cup shallots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Coconut milk
- Roasted chickpeas
*could substitute fresh ginger for 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the carrots, butternut squash and sliced shallots on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle with avocado oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Lightly toss to coat.
- Roast for 30 minutes, or until carrots and squash are fork tender.
- Once cooled slightly, transfer to a blender along with the vegetable stock, coconut milk, ginger, salt and pepper. You might need to do this in two batches if you have a smaller blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy, adding additional stock or water to thin if needed (you could also use a hand immersion blender for this).
- Garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk, fresh cilantro and roasted chickpeas.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 423
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 686mg
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated Fat: 20g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: carrot, butternut squash, soup, comfort food, vegan, plant based, 30 minute meal, healthy recipe, gluten free, dairy free
Cozy up, friends!