Espresso, chocolate and peanut butter are perfectly paired together in this chia pudding parfait for a simple sweet treat.
The healthy fats from the chia seeds and coconut milk makes this recipe just as nutritious as it is decadent. Grab a spoon and get ready to dive into a little taste of heaven!
Want to know something crazy? This chia pudding parfait recipe has fewer ingredients than it does words in the recipe title. That’s right. This dark chocolate espresso chia pudding parfait is super simple to make, but will win over even the toughest critic.
I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve got a crazy sweet tooth. Instead of depriving myself of sweet treats which makes the cravings even worse, it’s a fun challenge to find alternatives that are healthy and nutritious.
Dark chocolate espresso chia pudding is a healthy alternative for dessert
Chia seeds are what makes this recipe “pudding” and are one of nature’s finest superfoods. These tiny little seeds absorb up to eight times their weight in liquid, which is why it’s important to soak them before consuming to allow for easier digestibility. Chia seeds are a fantastic source of healthy fats, protein and fiber – the three nutrients that boost energy and satiety when combined together!
This recipe for dark chocolate espresso chia pudding parfait with peanut butter mousse is inspired by my original love for the mud pie mojo ice cream from my favorite childhood ice cream shop, which was also the inspiration for these fan-favorite overnight oats.
Mud Pie Mojo = Chocolate + Coffee + Nuts (really, any excuse to get that coffee flava!)
My earliest memories of drinking coffee go back to visiting my grandparent’s house. We would always enjoy decaf coffee with hazelnut creamer at breakfast. Fast forward years later and my coffee habits became a bit more sophisticated as I found a love for espresso drinks.
I was given the opportunity to test out Gourmesso espresso in this recipe and have found an appreciation for the option to make my beloved coffee drinks at home.
The Gourmesso pods help keep my budget in check by cutting down on the cups of coffee I order out and they are 30% cheaper than Nespresso capsules. Win!
Since I’m trying to limit my coffee intake throughout the day, I like to incorporate this comforting taste into my desserts. I usually go for chocolatey over fruity, and coffee is a natural flavor enhancer to cocoa.
All you need for this recipe is:
- Cacao Powder
- Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Chia Seeds
- Vanilla Extract
- Maple Syrup
- Full-Fat Coconut Milk
- Peanut Butter
Espresso, chocolate and peanut butter are perfectly paired together in this simple sweet treat. The healthy fats from the chia seeds and coconut milk makes this recipe just as nutritious as it is decadent. Grab a spoon and get ready to dive into a little taste of heaven!
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 3 Tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 shot espresso
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Peanut Butter Mousse
- 1 14.5 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 Tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- To make the chia pudding, add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine, making sure the chia seeds don’t clump together. Continue whisking until the mixture begins to thicken. Store in the refrigerator for at least a few hours to allow the chia pudding to continue to thicken.
- Meanwhile, to prep the peanut butter mousse, place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight. When ready to assemble, remove the can from the refrigerator, being careful not to shake it. Open the can and remove the cream from the top of the liquid (you can reserve the liquid for smoothies!). Add to a mixing bowl with the peanut butter and maple syrup. Whisk until the texture resembles whipped cream. You could also do this in a stand mixer. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve or up to a week.
- To assemble the chia pudding parfaits, layer the chia pudding and peanut butter mousse on top of each other. Drizzle with extra peanut butter and top with a coffee bean. Enjoy!
Keywords: chia pudding, chocolate, dessert, espresso, mousse, peanut butter, vegan
If you make this recipe for Dark Chocolate Espresso Chia Pudding Parfait or any other FitLiving Eats recipe, leave a comment below and tag #fitlivingeats on the ‘gram.