There’s nothing more comforting than a steamy bowl of soup on a chilly day, am I right? Cooler temps in Florida definitely aren’t the norm, but the past few days have been cold and dreary, making me crave all the soups. If I’m being honest though, I am known to crave soup when it’s sweltering hot outside, too. Anyone else (or is this just me)? If you’re a part of the soup fan club, then you’re going to love this recipe for a Creamy (Vegan) Tomato Basil Soup!
Soups can be a lot like salads when it comes to making healthy choices. All salads are not created equal and the topping and dressing choices are what can make or break a nutritious salad. Same goes for soups! I love creamy soups, but so many of them are loaded with creams, butter and cheeses which pack on the calories and amount of (not-so-good-for-you) fats.
Today, I’m giving the classic tomato soup a makeover and using a secret ingredient to get that creamy, rich texture. But wait! It’s not tomato soup without grilled cheese, right? Instead of grilled cheese, I’m opting for a side of avocado toast for an extra boost in healthy fats, fiber and nutrients. Some homemade garlic bread would also be a delicious compliment to this soup.
And the secret ingredients is…
Beans! There are a few ways to achieve a creamy texture in soups (without the cream) depending on the flavor you are going for. You can use potatoes, coconut or nut milk, and yes, even beans.
[Tweet “Find out the secret ingredient in this #vegan Creamy Tomato Basil Soup for #MeatlessMonday!”]
I chose to use cannellini beans for this soup because they are silky smooth when pureed and won’t compete with the tomato basil flavor. They are also packed with protein, transforming this soup into a hearty main dish that will keep you satisfied for hours!Print
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Saute the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, vegetable broth, almond milk, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the basil and puree with a hand immersion blender until creamy (you could blend in batches as well).
- When ready to serve, ladle the soup into four bowls and garnish with extra basil. Enjoy!
This soup is a fantastic way to sneak in more veggies into your day. And the best part is, this soup is approved by plant-based and meat eaters alike! Now how’s that for a #MeatlessMonday meal?
Are you a fan of soups? What are your favorites? Share with me in the comment section below!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later 🙂