This cranberry apple crisp is mostly fruit with just a little bit of sweetness and almond crumble on top. It’s a great option for a festive dessert to show off to friends and family that won’t wreak havoc on your waistline!
- 4 gala apples, cored and chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice (about 1/2 orange)
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot starch (could sub cornstarch)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Almond crumble:
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal (or flour)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest (1 orange)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped apples, cranberries, maple syrup, orange juice, arrowroot starch, vanilla extract and cinnamon; stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, add the oats, almond meal, coconut sugar, sliced almonds, coconut oil, orange zest, cinnamon and salt. Mash with a fork, or break the coconut oil up with your fingers until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Pour the apple cranberry mixture into a square baking dish and sprinkle the crumble mixture on top. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.