This Clean Green Cauliflower Crust Pizza recipe might look complicated, but this pizza can be made in no time at all! What takes the longest is waiting for that crust to get nice and crispy, and trust me on this, it’s worth it.
For the cauliflower crust:
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 cups riced cauliflower (I find freshly prepared, already riced works best as it’s the driest)
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast (optional), plus more for topping
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Toppings: asparagus, mushrooms, sliced red onion, chopped fresh basil
For the clean green pesto:
- 1 cup tightly packed basil leaves
- 1 cup torn kale leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1–2 garlic cloves 1/2 lemon, juiced pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- To make the crust, combine the chia seeds and water in a small bowl and let sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Place the riced cauliflower in a large mixing bowl. Add the almond meal, nutritional yeast if using, dried oregano, garlic powder and salt; mix to combine. Make a well in the center of the cauliflower mixture and add the soaked chia seeds. Using your hands, combine the ingredients and shape into a rough ball.
- Place the mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet and form into an even, flat crust (this is easiest when hands are wet). Make sure that the sides of the crust are the same thickness as the middle. We are aiming for the crust to be about 1/2” thick.
- Bake the crust for 25 minutes in the oven, or until golden brown around the edges. For a firmer crust, carefully flip the crust onto the back of another baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper and gently remove the parchment paper from the top of the crust. Next, carefully lift or slide the crust back onto the same tray and put back in the oven. Bake for another 25 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, make the pesto by combining all of the ingredients in a food processor and blending on HIGH until the walnuts are ground and leaves are minced.
- To assemble the pizza, dry sauté the sliced red onion for a minute, then add the chopped asparagus and sliced mushrooms. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Spread a thin layer of the pesto on the cauliflower crust, leaving a 1” border around the edges. Sprinkle with extra nutritional yeast, if using. Top with the sautéed vegetables and put back into the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Once done, remove from the oven and top with chopped basil leaves. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.