- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces assorted mushrooms (white button, Portobello and shiitake mushrooms would all work well), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced (save some for garnish)
- 4 ounces sliced water chestnuts, chopped
- ½ cup cashews, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 heads iceberg or butter lettuce for serving
- For garnish: green onions, chopped cashews, cilantro
For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and mushrooms to the pan. Sear the mushrooms until they begin to get golden brown, stirring occasionally but not too often. Once cooked, add the garlic, green onions, water chestnuts, cashews and salt. Stir to combine and continue to cook while preparing the sauce.
- To make the sauce, add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Pour over the mushroom filling and stir to coat. Continue cooking until the sauce begins to bubble and thicken.
- To serve, spoon the mushroom filling onto butter or iceberg lettuce leaves. Top with sliced green onions, chopped cashews and/or cilantro.
If you wanted to swap out the mushrooms for chicken, brown 1 pound ground chicken instead of the mushrooms in the recipe, then add the remaining ingredients.
Loved this recipe? Give it a 5-star review, share on social media and tag @fitlivingeats!
Keywords: vegan lettuce wraps, healthy lettuce wraps, gluten-free lettuce wraps, soy-free lettuce wraps, vegan appetizer, plant-based asian recipe, fitliving eats, easy lettuce wraps, vegan asian recipe