Everyone has their favorite muffin flavor. If yours is lemon poppyseed, then you’re in the right place! This recipe for lemon poppyseed muffins is madeover to include nutritious ingredients such as oat flour, almond flour and unrefined sugars for a delicious and healthy treat. Scroll down for the recipe!
One of my favorite activities as a kid was going to costco with my mom. Okay, it’s still my favorite errand to run! I had to hit every area of the store – the clothes, the books, DVDs (when those were a thing), the food samples and of course, load the cart with all the things.
My brother wasn’t so much a fan and opted to stay at home, but he did always require one thing be put in the cart – muffins. We usually picked up the variety pack that had chocolate, blueberry and lemon poppyseed. My brother hoarded the chocolate and blueberry muffins which was totally fine since that meant more lemon poppyseed muffins for me!
See related: Double Chocolate Sweet Potato Brownie Muffins (tastes like the Ghirardelli brownie box mix!)
If you’ve had Costco muffins, you know how insanely delicious they are. The lemon poppyseed muffin is zesty, sweet and has an underlying almond flavor. In my opinion, it’s not a lemon poppyseed muffin if there’s not almond extract in the batter.
I’ve been having so much fun making over my family favorite foods that I decided it was time to give my favorite muffins a few healthy swaps for a more nutritious snack.
See related: Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup
See related: The Best Ever Cozy Vegan Pot Pie
See related: How to Make a Vegan Charcuterie Board
Here are the simple swaps we are making in this lemon poppyseed muffin recipe to give it a healthy makeover:
- Swapping all-purpose flour for a combination of oat flour (full of fiber) and almond flour (healthy fats and protein)
- Swapping canola oil for coconut oil
- Swapping refined white sugar for low-glycemic coconut sugar and unrefined maple syrup
These lemon poppyseed muffins are incredibly moist, zesty and bursting in lemon flavor with a subtle hint of almond. They are vegan, gluten-free and deceptively healthy.Print
This recipe for lemon poppyseed muffins is madeover to include nutritious ingredients such as oat flour, almond flour and unrefined sugars for a delicious and healthy treat.
- 1 ½ cups oat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 3 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup lemon juice + zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the glaze (optional):
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients (oat flour, almond flour, coconut sugar, poppy seeds, lemon zest, baking powder and baking soda). Whisk to combine. In a smaller mixing bowl, add the wet ingredients (maple syrup, coconut oil, lemon juice, almond milk, almond extract and salt). Whisk to combine. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until well mixed. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Spray muffin tins lightly with cooking spray or line with baking cups. Fill the muffin cups ¾ of the way full with the batter. Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for 5 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees and continue baking for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before drizzling the glaze, if using.
- To make the glaze, add the confectioners sugar and lemon juice to a small bowl. Mix until sugar is dissolved and glaze is smooth. Add more lemon juice or sugar until desired texture is reached. Drizzle on top of the muffins. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to a few months.
Keywords: muffins, lemon poppyseed, gluten free, baking, breakfast, almond flour, oat flour, lemon, poppyseed, baked, vegan