This summery, antioxidant-rich super grain salad with cherries and walnuts is the perfect dish to take to a potluck or side to your end-of-summer grill fest! The natural sweetness of the cherries, nuttiness from the walnuts and super grains and freshness of the watercress and herbs play off of one another in this delicious and light dish. This salad is also great to make ahead to have on hand for the week!
- 1 cup cooked grains
- 2 cups watercress
- 2 cups sweet cherries, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- Cook the grains according to the package. Once cooked, transfer to a bowl and cool in the refrigerator until at least room temperature.
- To assemble the salad, add the grains into a large salad bowl, then top with the watercress, cherries, walnuts, mint and basil. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Toss to combine. That’s it! Enjoy.
- Any kind of whole grain will work in this salad, including: wheat berries, farro, quinoa or brown rice
- If you can’t find watercress, you can use arugula or baby spinach
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 327
- Sugar: 21g
- Sodium: 279mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: cherry, cherry and walnut salad, gluten-free, grain salad, quinoa, salad, super grains, vegan