What if I told you that your favorite candy bar could be eaten for breakfast, while also being a part of a healthy diet? Sounds too good to be true, right? These past few weeks have been nothing short of hot and humid outside making my usual breakfast of hot oatmeal with fruit unbearable. That warm cozy feeling you get when you take your first bite of piping hot oatmeal isn’t so cozy the second you walk out into what I call, “the sauna”. However, I couldn’t give up my love for oats in the morning, which is why I came up with this creamy, chocolaty and cool recipe for Almond Joy Overnight Oats.
Overnight oats are great for mornings on the go, since you can prep all of the ingredients the night before and throw them into a jar with a tight fitting lid to let them do their thing while you sleep (breakfast really doesn’t get any easier!). The next morning, all you have to do is throw a few toppings on and you’re done. It’s that simple! And the best part is, you aren’t compromising on a healthy and satisfying breakfast by going through the drive-thru or pulling out a pre-packaged freezer breakfast burrito because you’re pressed for time. Or even worse, not eating breakfast at all.
Since I don’t eat candy bars too often, when I do, it becomes an experience. The minute you bite into an Almond Joy it is like a chocolate, almond and coconut explosion in your mouth. The richness of the chocolate, gooeyness of the coconut filling and the crunch from the almonds are all recreated in this decadent Almond Joy overnight oats recipe.
The chia seeds in the recipe make for a luscious, creamy texture while the cocoa powder adds that expected chocolaty punch. The coconut flakes and chopped almonds on top help to reinforce the coconut flavor and crunchy texture, while the banana provides a bit of natural sweetness. Seriously, what’s not to love? I hope you enjoy this Almond Joy overnight oats recipe as much as I do!Print
- 1 c. oats
- 1 c. almond milk
- 1 c. light coconut milk (get the kind in the can for a stronger coconut flavor)
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- *Optional: 1 Tablespoon maple syrup for added sweetness
- 1 banana, mashed
- Coconut flakes or chips
- Chopped almonds
- Cocoa nibs or dark chocolate chips
- Banana slices
- Combine first five ingredients (plus maple syrup if using) in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Pour into two mason jars or containers with tight fitting lids.
- Let sit overnight, or at least for a few hours.
- When ready to eat, top with banana slices, coconut flakes, chopped almonds and cocoa nibs/chocolate chips.
- Grab and spoon and enjoy!