With just a few simple ingredients, this delicious and healthy Greek lentil salad can be made ahead of time for a quick lunch or impressive party dish! Black lentils steal the show and are full of satisfying nutrients.
If you’ve been following me on Instagram then you know I’ve taken up camp in LA for the month while enrolled in a Plantlab culinary program. There are many things that I’m learning to love about California, but hands down the farmer’s markets and fresh produce is my favorite.
As with any farmer’s market, the produce is incredibly fresh. But what I love about the markets here in California is the abundance of organic options at affordable prices!
The most economical way to shop at a farmer’s market is to go in with a plan. Otherwise, it’s too tempting to buy everything in sight (at least it is for me!). I also like to take a lap around the market to scope out my options and compare prices.
Visiting the local farmer’s market is not only a fun experience on a weekend morning, but a great way to support local farmers and get as close to the source of the produce as possible.
Veggie Greek Lentil Salad
This veggie Greek lentil salad features several of my latest farmer’s market finds, including dino/Tuscan kale, yellow cucumbers and heirloom grape tomatoes.
But the real star of the show here is the black lentils. There are several different types of lentils, but I like to use black lentils for salads because they tend to hold their shape well and are really pretty.
Lentils are an excellent source of plant-based protein (13g in 1 serving) and dietary fiber (9g in 1 serving) which helps promote healthy digestion and satiety.
They are also a fabulous source of iron, which is especially important for those following a plant-based lifestyle, since iron is most abundant in animal sources. Lentils also help alkalize the body by balancing its pH levels which is important for gut health!Print
With just a few simple ingredients, this delicious and healthy Greek-inspired lentil salad can be made ahead of time for a quick lunch or impressive party dish! Black lentils steal the show and are full of satisfying nutrients.
- 4 cups kale, ribs removed and chopped
- 3/4 cup dry black lentils, cooked according to package
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the chopped kale. Pour half of the vinaigrette over the kale and massage the dressing into the leaves with your hands until well coated. Place in a serving bowl.
- In the same bowl, add the lentils, cucumber, grape tomatoes, red onion, parsley, basil and the other half of the dressing. Gently toss to combine. Spread over the kale and enjoy!
- For the kale, I prefer curly kale for a more tender leaf, however, any kind of kale can be used.
- For a convenient shortcut, use canned lentils instead of cooking your own.
- Serving Size: 1/4 Salad
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 3g
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: gluten-free, greek salad, lentil salad, salad, easy recipe, quick recipe, vegan
This salad would be delicious with some feta cheese sprinkled on top or served with a side of wild salmon (who’s having me over for dinner?). You could also simplify the salad by leaving out the kale, but I’m all about those leafy greens!